In a previous blog I was encouraging people to pay attention to what the software license actually meant. I shall now attempt to take my own medicine by describing the Nuno license sufficiently succinctly that you won’t doze off or lose the will to live before you get to the end.
On the way I may even convince you that this is a really good deal with no subtle clauses that are going to disappoint you.
Here is the small print – in headlines.
For an initial outlay of $100 you can have a license for a state of the art navigation system and a one year subscription to full support and update services. After a year you can choose to renew your subscription for a further $50.
If you want to know more; keep reading.
How to buy Nuno
On the Nuno website you create an account and pay for Nuno with your credit card. This gets you a license to use Nuno and a subscription for a year.
How to get Nuno and Install it
You may have already downloaded Nuno to try it out before you bought it. If not you can download it now. This will be the very latest version. As soon as Nuno starts up on your computer it will ask you for your account logon credentials. This is the same email address and password you used to create your account. Nuno will use these to activate over the Internet. Once activated Nuno is fully functional.
You can have Nuno installed and activated on two computers at the same time. This is so that you can have one PC for route planning and another, maybe a laptop, for use at sea.
You are now up and running with the latest version of Nuno and a complete set of up to date charts from NOAA.
During the next year
The subscription is valid for a year and entitles you to the following:
· You will be able to use our chart updating service. This is basically just one click to update all your NOAA charts.
· You will be notified of any updates to Nuno.
· Occasionally we find bugs or problems in the code. More often we want to roll out a bunch of usability and implementation improvements. You will be able to download, install and use the new version of Nuno with these fixes and improvements.
· In the next year we are planning to add several new features including Active Captain Integration, AIS support, S63 (commercial, encrypted ENC), auto-helm and a rolling road (whatever that is). You will be able to download, install and use the new versions of Nuno with these new features.
· If you encounter any problems or have any issues you will be able to contact us directly and probably have your question answered by one of the programming team.
After a year
The subscription expires in a year.
At the end of the year we will invite you to renew your subscription. This will cost just $50. If you renew your subscription then you can carry on with all the good things I have just described for another year.
You can still use Nuno. It is yours to keep and use whenever you want.
If you ever lose your copy of Nuno you will be able to log into your account and download a fresh copy.
You can still update your charts but not via the update service. You will need to download updates directly from NOAA and then install them manually.
You will not be able to upgrade Nuno. Activation will be frozen at the latest version on the date that your subscription expired.