YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Nature of sea bed? Options
topcat
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:33:32 PM

Groups: Registered

Just seen " sand " in cawsand bay ( plymouth). How do I know from your information screen that it is in fact fS ? Sand implies I think that it would be medium I guess. cS good holding. fS pretty useless in a blow. Can I interrogate to find out which?
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:13:46 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Yes you can find out a lot more:

To get started you right mouse click on the thing you are interested in - in this case the word "sand" and choose Information.
You can move around this display like a website.

As an example:

Just south of Sandway Point (50°20'15.5"N 4°11'27.9"W)

This comes up as a Seabed Areawith a button to highlight it to right of the word Seabed Area. You can get a definition of a "Seabed Area"

(An area of the sea where the nature of bottom is homogeneous.The nature of bottom includes the material of which it is composed and its physical characteristics. Also called character (or characteristics) of the bottom, or quality of the bottom)

...however you get more interesting information if you click on the word "sand" just below.

Sand is classified in the list as "(particles of 0.0625-2.0mm); tiny grains of crushed or worn rock."

If you go to the next sand south (50°20'09.5"N 4°11'30.4"W) you can see that this one has a qualifier "sand, fine".

Clicking on "fine" brings up a like a "Nature of surface - qualifying terms" defining fine. More than one type and qualifier can apply (e.g. sand, shells fine, broken).

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft