YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

GPS Won't connect -- Port Error Options
MikeR
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:45:49 PM

Groups: Registered

I have an external GPS on a Lenovo Yoga with Windows 8.1. I installed the drivers for the puck GPS, I think it is a BU-353, if I remember correctly. When I click the GPS screen on the driver page, it says Port Error, I have tried both USB ports on my computer and one is 3, one 4, but each shows as an error. I do not know how to find the correct port, or change the port associated with the USB connection if that is possible? Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 10:12:03 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi Mike,

Just to help identify your device - does it look like this?

http://www.expansys.com/...er-sirf-star-iv-231523/

Andy

Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#3 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 10:23:58 AM

There are some reports of on the internet of people having struggled a bit with device drivers for this unit.

There are also some people complaining that Windows 8 drivers are available for the S4 version of the BU-353 but not previous. As with lots of stuff on the internet it's hard to know who's telling the truth. But it would be helpful to pin down exactly what device you have. Next step would be to get the version of the drivers you installed and check whether there's a newer and better version on the GlobalSat support website.

A general USB device issue is that where drivers are supplied the instruction is normally to install the drivers before plugging in the device.

Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft
MikeR
#4 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 12:55:29 PM

Andy,

Yes, that is the device, and as I have had it a few years, I'm sure there are newer models. I thought I installed the latest drivers, but I will recheck their website again, now that we are back in the states, and have access to the internet for a couple of weeks.

Thank you.

Mike
MikeR
#5 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 12:56:53 PM

Forgot, I was also going to ask if there is a different USB GPS which has a better track record with windows 8.1?
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:41:59 AM

Drivers for your existing GPS:

If your receiver is BU-353-W then GlobalSat list it as incompatible with Windows 8. Their support download is PL2303 Prolific driver installer version 1.8.0.

Now Prolific do offer a version 1.9.0 which claims Windows 8.1. There are some caveats about the precise versions of chipsets used so no guarantee it will work.

But it is worth a try if you have no other reason to change your GPS.

http://www.prolific.com....px?p_id=225&pcid=41

Replacement GPS

The ideal is to find one that
a) the manufacturer claims is Windows 8.1 compatible
and b) other people on the internet report success with Windows 8.1 64 bit (which is what your running I think).

Amazon reviews and customer questions can be good for this.

That way you've got confidence it will work and support from the manufacturer if it doesn't.

There are people who have upgraded from BU-353 to BU-353 S4 for compatibility with Windows 8. If you were basically happy with the BU-353 hardware then the newer S4 version has more recent internals for better accuracy and lock onto the satellites.

Often Windows 7 drivers will work with Windows 8 and 8.1 but there are specific cases were that is not the case as there's plenty of frustration to be had googling for drivers for stuff!

Good luck BTW. Let me know if you get it going?
Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft