YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Trial Version Limits Options
waterman480
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:36:37 AM

Groups: Registered

Greetings,

I just downloaded the US trial version. While I find it interesting, I do not find any configuration information for using my existing raster and enc charts on my system or the gps. Thus it is hard to give Nuno a real test drive. Is there a configuration panel that I have overlooked?
simon
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:49:58 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi

Thanks for having a look at Nuno™.

The chart system is primarily focussed and optimized for ENC vector data. We ship a complete set of NOAA ENCs with the version you have downloaded and these are managed by the update mechanism. Before long we will be adding support for un-encrypted ENC transmittals but there are not so many of these around. See the blog.

Not long after that there will be full support for commercial (S63) transmittals.
We have a professional navigation system called Henry which can handle pretty much every type of chart ever invented. This is intended for military and commercial markets but we will be making many of the best features available in Nuno.

Simon
Simon
Lead philosopher to the Nuno Team
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:03:26 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Just to add to that...

The trial mode allows you to use your GPS.
Just have it all plugged in and Nuno should detect and use it. No setup needed.

Andy
Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft
waterman480
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:39:44 AM

Indeed, it did find the GPS when it was enabled.

However, it still does not find the ENC charts - yours or mine. I only see a world chart. There are 2 files in the genc directory. 1 18 mb file - usgs.gaz and a small chersoft.genc file in the genc directory. However, there are only two small files in the senc directory. The chart catalog also shows no cells.

Update: I didn't realize that the charts didn't come with the initial download. Downloading now.
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:53:50 AM

The chart stuff is on the "Support Center" window. Get that by clicking on the "Show" button on the toolbar (top left).

Chart Updating can be automatic or manual - depends on what you chose during the install. If it's on manual you need to click the Update button under the Chart Data Updating heading.

Either way it's going to take a little while (could be an hour maybe). There is a lot of chart data and we're getting a lot of website traffic after Jeff from ActiveCaptain gave us a nice writeup in his email to subscribers (I guess maybe you got that too?)
Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft
waterman480
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:10:03 PM

Yes indeed, Jeff is the reason I looked at Nuno again. I had looked at it awhile ago, but it was still too early on at that point.

I did find all the info needed for the GPS and chart download on your website as I poked around. However, Perhaps a brief tutorial when you first launch
Nuno would eliminate questions like mine.

It does seem rather silly to have to download again ENC charts that I already have (in S-57 format not S-63). Likewise, I prefer to manage my own chart updates. I am using several charting programs, and it is redundant to have each one manage charts. I also maybe bandwidth constrained and only wish to update a few charts or if I have a broadband connection - update them all.

Downloading now to 10% 8-(
simon
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:13:30 PM

Yep. All good points and we will be addressing each of these issues in the near future. Our intent is that Nuno will support ENCs from any source and that will require that individuals can manage their own portfolios.
Thanks for the feedback.
Simon
Brokesailor
#8 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 4:25:25 PM

I downloaded the trial version but I can't get it to work with the GPS. I have a GArmin 76csx, driver installed on computer, settings set for NMEA 0183 version 3.01 data. I plug it into the computer but nothing happens. What do I need to do.
AndyW
#9 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 5:31:20 PM

Brokesailor wrote:
I downloaded the trial version but I can't get it to work with the GPS. I have a GArmin 76csx, driver installed on computer, settings set for NMEA 0183 version 3.01 data. I plug it into the computer but nothing happens. What do I need to do.

A GPS can be connected to Nuno Navigator via a COM port. This can be a real physical one (a 9 pin connectior on your PC) or a virtual one invented by the computer a fed from the GPS via USB. Nuno Navigator understands NMEA 0183 v3.01 via either of this routes.

As you have connected your GPS to your PC via USB, you need to ensure that the USB driver software or some other software provides a virtual COM port. If it does, then Nuno Navigator will find it automatically - you don't have to do anything to configure Nuno to do this except provide the virtual COM port in the first place and ensure that there are no other NMEA devices on real COM ports which nuno Navigatgor may find first.

Thank you for your question. Please let us know how you get on.
Brokesailor
#10 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 8:13:16 PM

Well I went into my Data Interface Properties. Saw that the driver was assigned to a Broadband connection I no longer use. I deleted it. I downloaded the latest driver from Garmin. But now the driver info needs to be updated to the new info? I really don't know what I am doing. I want to buy Nuno but not if I can't get it to work.
AndyW
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:09:00 PM

Lets try and sort out his GPS interfacing problem.

If you could answer these questions it would help

1. What operating system is your PC? Windows7, WindowXP, Vista? Answer: Vista

2. Do you have any other software on the PC which can display positions from the Garmin 76csx? Answer: No

3. If so, what software? The version number in the "About Box" would help too.

4. Do you already have "franson gps gate" software or "Garmin Spanner" sofware on the PC? Answer: No

Many modern Garmin GPS units do not output NMEA via the USB connection, which is the connection you are using. Answer: According to instruction manual it does

I think you will need some software like http://gpsgate.com/suppo...g_a_garmin_gps_as_input to make this work. There is a 14 day free trial for this.

Or Garmin Spanner from http://www8.garmin.com/s...ls.jsp?id=1627%E2%80%9D though I think this might only be for Windows XP.
AndyW
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:15:51 PM

Are you refering to the http://www.garmin.com/ma...P76CSx_OwnersManual.pdf Appendix on Interfacing?

I think this page is delibrately unclear on the part of Garmin. It supports two connectors - the power / data port (the round 4 pin connector) and the USB connector. It says it supports NMEA, but does not say on which connector(s).

The next page on connecting to your computer does not mention NMEA at all. I think the USB connector supports propriatory Garmin messages only.

If you are looking at some other documentation, please give me a link and I will have a look at it.
Kim
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:16:15 AM

Garmin 76 and derivatives uses serial 9600/8/0/1/none to talk to a PC when programming etc.
The USB port may need to be emulating a serial port to work and you may need to change the GPSs comms settings to Garmin for it to talk to your PC.
simon
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:21:28 AM

Yep. Nuno is looking for NMEA sentences on a COM port. So that is either a real serial port or, more commonly these days, a virtual port associated with a USB device.
Simon