YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Variable detail on UK charts Options
Oursin
#1 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 10:57:00 AM

Groups: Registered

I found Nuno only yesterday and it is so much better than anything else I have seen that the prospect is rather exciting. The interface is way, way beyond anything else I have used - the screen pan/scroll/zoom is actually understandable by a normal PC user unlike others that I have worked with. However (there had to be a but) there are things I don't understand and which are a bit worrying.

I am using the trial version with UK charts. When I scroll across the south coast of England all is well as I travel east past Brighton. But just south of Newhaven all detail disappears. Beachy Head light has no characteristics and there is little information presented. Just past South Foreland it all comes back again and by Deal and the Goodwin Sands there is a good deal of data (sorry, couldn't resist it). Is this because I have a trial version of has the Admiralty lost Kent?

A second confusion arose yesterday in my initial foray. I was scouting around the Mull of Galloway just North West of the Isle of Man when the legend 'English Channel' appeared on the chart. Being Scots/Irish I was a bit disturbed to see the waters between my two countries named for our southern neighbours. The English Channel keeps the French safe from their British neighbours and is nowhere near the Isle of Man. Today I can't find the text where it appeared yesterday although I am certain that I saw it and certain to within 30 miles where it appeared. Having the legend in the incorrect place is a bit disturbing but having it migrate across the world at will is more frightening.

Do I need to buy the license to get an accurate version? On usability Nuno is certainly N(umero)uno (I should get out more).
Chris
#2 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 12:50:43 PM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi
Thanks for the comments about the usability of Nuno Navigator. It is something we continue to work hard at and we appreciate the feedback. The new release of Nuno, which should be available in the next week or so, will contain even more great features presented in the same user friendly way including AIS targets and better search display.

The 'English Channel' you refer to is a real channel, in the mouth of the Solway Firth, just south east of the Workington Bank. You can see it in the ENC data by right clicking just below the 'ENGLISH CHANNEL' text in the Solway Firth and choosing 'Information'. On the Chart Information panel click 'show invisible features' and you will see that an object of that name is present. Click on the green area icon next to it and you will see the extent of the channel area highlighted on the chart.

The 'missing' cells on the south coast are indeed missing. We have licensed ENC data from the Admiralty (UKHO) for the UK coastline coverage and unfortunately the GB2 and GB3 cells for this area are not available at present. You will see that there is detailed chart data around Eastbourne and Winchelsea/Rye harbours, and it is then contiguous from Dungeness eastwards.

We will discuss this ommission with the UKHO and try to get additional cells released under license.

Regards

Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Oursin
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:57:59 AM

Groups: Registered

That is good to hear - not that I knew so little about UK waters that I wasn't aware that there was more than one English Channel - but that the missing cell isn't a fault in Nuno. I look forward to the next release. Now the real question is - is there any chance that the UK charts coverage will be extended a little further south? Most of my navigation is done in the areas just south of the cells you have - in the areas shaded orangey pink on your coverage map.
Chris
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:59:49 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi
We are working towards enabling the use of commercial ENC data in Nuno, and that would allow you to get ENC data for any area you are interested in.

The ability to install commercial (S63) ENC cells will be made available within the next few months. With this feature users will be able to install any 3rd party ENC data which is available, from the likes of the UKHO's AVCS portfolio and PRIMAR's ENC charts. Both offer extensive coverage throughout the world. The downside to this is that you will have to buy the data from a commercial ENC supplier or chart agent.

More details explaining how to purchase and use commercial ENC data will be posted once we are closer to a release.

We cannot promise any extended chart coverage in the base set of charts, that coverage is determined by the UKHO licence for GB coastal waters.

Regards

Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support

Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support