YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

interfacing ais and gps Options
topcat
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 6:56:49 AM

Groups: Registered

hi folks, I wonder if anyone is using a VHF/ AIS combined unit to interface with nuno. Ours works fine with other navigators such as macenc but is not reliable with nuno. This is a VHF with ais receiver inside. (Navicom 650vhf) It receives GPS positional info from our on board gps and receives AIS. It sends all this to nuno. Nuno also connected to our on board gps.
I think there is clever software within nuno which automatically decides which serial ports to use. ( we have no control) With our system it certainly grabs the wrong one. This means that we loose gps pos on screen for about 15 seconds then it returns for a short time and then cycles again. anyone else struggling?
There are quite a few VHF's these days with AIs receiver inside. Surely theres a fix?
Andy? Why can't we tell the Nuno which ports to look at like every other bit of kit like this. ? I have been talking to tim about this for months but want to know if anyone else in the community is having similar problems.
cheers, jim
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:58:32 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi Jim,

(Thanks for testing out the next Nuno the other day the way)

With your setup - it's taken a while to zero in on the Navicom unit! I've never supported anyone with quite the same problem.

To control things there is a way to black list or white list COM ports that allows you to fully specify the ports, baud rates and so on. It's well hidden though:

http://support.nunonavig...ubleshoot_the_GPS_input

Andy
Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft