YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Will Nuno read Canadian Hydrographic Service Charts? Options
db7
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:14:14 PM

Groups: Registered

Is Nuno good for any s-57 chart such as Canadian Hydrographic Service Digital Charts (Vector Electronic Navigational Charts in the S-57 v3.1 format), or just the NOAA charts?
JohnS
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:58:23 AM

The short answer is that Nuno will work with any unencrypted S-57 charts, not just NOAA charts.

As things stand, Nuno doesn't support S-63, which allows Hydrographic Offices to encrypt S-57 charts so that you can only use them if you have a permit. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that CHS ENCs are encrypted. I've had a look on their website, but it isn't clear. Do you know?

If CHS charts are not encrypted, you can install them into Nuno using ManageENC, which ships with Nuno Navigator. I plan to blog soon about how to do this. You will also have to use ManageENC to apply any updates.

John
Wes
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:30:24 PM

I want to ask three things:
If I'm headed out to western Europe and the British Isles in May, are there any electronic charts of thse areas that I can purchase that will run on Nuno?
Is the nav software provided by Nuno all one needs to lay out courses and plan voyages as one can do on chartplotters?
I presume one must have a USB connected GPS sensor attached to their laptop to show your position on your electonic chart. I have found the USGlobalSat BU-353 at a cost that seems reasonable to me. Do you know if this one will work with Nuno? Can you name any competitors?
Thank you, Wes Jones
simon
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:23:50 PM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi Wes

1. For Europe and the UK you will need to purchase commercial charts. For ENCs these are encrypted using a scheme called S63. While we support this in some of our other products it has not made it into Nuno yet. However, don't despair, we will be adding S63 support into Nuno very soon. Almost certainly before next Easter.

2. Yes. You can plot routes, mark interesting points, indicate areas on a chart and do all the other things that are needed for passage planning.

3. Yep. The easiest way to indicate your position with Nuno is to use a GPS and pretty much the easiest way to connect it is using a USB port. I am not familiar with the BU-353 but it will almost certainly work. You could check that it sends out NMEA 0183 data strings. Just about all of them do. After that just plug it in and Nuno will do the rest.

Thanks for getting in touch. Feel free to get back to me if there is anything else we can help with.

Simon
Simon
Lead philosopher to the Nuno Team