YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Enhancing Fix Position Routine Options
AndyP
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:34:35 AM

Groups: Registered

Hi, my first post and a suggestion to enhance some of the "traditional" position-fixing routines in Nuno Navigator (and perhaps also the RYA Chart Plotter).

I really like the ability to use lines, areas and points to "draw on the chart". This has been missing from other chart plotters which are really only glorified GPS position displays.

Once a fix (for example a three point visual fix) has been created, I would welcome an option to Neaten or Complete the fix which would shorten all the construction lines neatly around the fix position, just as you would with an eraser on a paper chart.

Something along the lines of Right Click on the fix point which would offer a Neaten Fix option, then as the mouse was moved out from the fix point an imaginary circle would be displayed and at a suitable radius the right button would be released which would then automatically shorten the three arrowed lines to fit inside the circle. It would also allow for a date/time entry to be made and perhaps a label which would identify the fix overlay.

You would probably need to Ctrl-click the various lines which made up the fix so they could all be included in the Neaten Fix routine but this would also mean that one overlay name would include all of the fix construction items.

I am thinking of a coastal passage where the same shore features might be used for a number of fixes which would otherwise soon clutter the chart.
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 11:38:24 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your kind words and the feedback. That's an interesting idea that I haven't heard before!

We deliberately made the pencil lines quite faint (unless selected) because things can get cluttered.

Some people delete them, having dropped a fix point or you can hide them.

Go to the Overlays list (Show > Overlays to get this), right click on the line and set to "Hidden on Chart".

Andy
Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft