YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Active Captain question Options
gac1982
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:29:17 AM

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I have downloaded the trial version so far, have charts loaded, and I am looking for Active Captain data on the charts. I see some markers, and hav discovered how to open them to read the marker info, crowd sourced info, etc. But what about my navigation routes I have created on Active Captain? I have a 31 day passage planned from the Chesapeake to the Gulf of Mexico, which I would like to use offline during the tranit. Can I open these navigation routes in Nuno, or would I need to go back and re-plan my nav routes using Nuno?
Carl
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:24:11 PM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for downloading and trying the trial of Nuno™.

In response to your query about displaying the routes that you have created in your ActiveCaptain account directly in Nuno™, this is not currently possible. We only download and display the crowd sourced information that you have already explored in the application.

It is possible to view the routes that you have created, but it takes a couple of steps:

1. Go to the 'My Card' tab in Active Captain.
2. Click on the 'More >>' link alongside the route that you would like to view in Nuno™
3. In the menu that pops up, choose 'Export'
4. Click 'Yes' to download the generated GPX file to your PC.
5. In Nuno™, ensure that the 'Overlays' pane is visible by clicking on the 'Show' button and choosing 'Overlays'.
6. Right click on the 'Overlays' folder icon in Nuno™ (or any other folder that you may have already created) and choose 'Import here...'
7. From the 'Open' dialog, browse to the GPX file that you saved in step 4.
8. The route should be imported into Nuno™ and the chart view will zoom to show your route.

Hope this is helpful, please let us know if you have any more questions

Carl
Carl Wright
Nuno Support
CherSoft Ltd

Nuno Homepage
Nuno Blog
Nuno Forum
gac1982
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 8:15:33 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly - I tried that and it worked great. One thing I discovered is that when you export the route(s), Active Captain assignes a random numeric string as the file name, not the name of the route. So my "Day 1" route exports as 1234567.gpx. If I mistakenly select "Day 1" again and export it, Active Captain will do it, and just assign another, different random numberic string, such as 2345678.gpx. Since I had 31 days' worth of routes, some of them with alternate routes ("Day 9 Inside" vs. "Day 9 Outside" for example, on a leg where I could go down the ICW or I could pop outside fro Morehead City to Beaufort) I found that the thing to do is rename the file when it is exported to match the original route name. That way I could tell that I had all of the routes, and no duplicates.
Carl
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 8:30:11 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi,

Glad that you were able to import your routes successfully.

With regards to the naming of the routes when they are imported into Nuno™, the GPX file that is downloaded from ActiveCaptain includes the nice name that you have given to the route, but Nuno™ currently just uses the filename.

I have created a feature request internally here, because it should be a straightforward thing for Nuno™ to use the route name if it is provided within the file. This will be looked at for inclusion in a future release of the software.

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Wright
Nuno Support
CherSoft Ltd

Nuno Homepage
Nuno Blog
Nuno Forum
gac1982
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 8:41:54 AM

Thanks - not sure what that means, but what I was saying is that the gpx file, when I download it from active captain, just has a random numeric name. So when I accidentally downloaded the same route twice, or three tiems, I can't tell that there are duplicate files in the folder because they all have different, random number names. So I changed the names when I downloaded them - that way I could see that all the routes were accounted for, and no duplicates. Bottom line, this was an active captain issue, not a Nuno issue.
AndyNibbs CHERSOFT
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:31:25 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi,

I just talked to Carl and we have added a new feature to be included in the next release of Nuno.

(We were targeting Friday for getting that new Nuno onto the website but it may be the new year before it is available as there are a few other features that we need to finish and test before we can go ahead)

Anyway what we do now is try to use the nice route name from the GPX file instead of the file name which ends up pretty meaningless from the ActiveCaptain download. For some GPX files we might have to fall back to using the file name.

Andy

Andy Nibbs
Nuno Product Manager
CherSoft