YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

GPS connectivity seems inconsistent Options
Peterkins
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:05:58 PM

Groups: Registered

Hi

I've just downloaded nuno and charts and tried to see if it could plot the location of my house. No joy.

I'm using a PC with windows 7. The GPS is a bluetooth Garmin unit connected via a bluetooth dongle.

I've established that the GPS/Bluetooth/dongle bit is working since I can configure VirtualGPS to show me the satelites, the signal quality, etc. I've also installed an eval version of SeaClear and configured it to connect to the GPS with no problems.

However, what ever I try, I cannot get Nuno to see the GPS port. Is Nuno trying to be too clever for its own good by trying to find the gps without user help.

regards
Chris
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:40:44 AM

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Hi
We are looking at this and will get back to you.

Regards
Chris.
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Chris
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:52:34 AM

Hi
We have successfully connected Nuno to a Bluetooth GPS via a Belkin bluetooth dongle and Nuno displays the GPS location accurately. You can check if a signal is being received by selecting Show, Route Monitor and looking at the status displayed at the bottom right of the window.

To isolate your problem could you:

Close Nuno
Confirm the COM port to which your GPS is directing its output.
Use a program such as Putty (http://www.putty.org/) to attach to the com port and capture the output.

Capture the output to a file and send it to us. The data should look something like this:
$GPGGA,095732.000,5365.2046,N,00221.8309,W,0,00,0.0,79.8,M,0.0,M,,0000*42
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.0,0.0,0.0*30
$GPGSV,3,1,10,25,80,075,,29,63,183,,31,50,298,,12,38,086,*71
$GPGSV,3,2,10,02,30,066,,14,26,224,,04,09,028,,30,07,276,*7D
$GPGSV,3,3,10,32,00,301,,20,00,327,*7F
$GPRMC,095732.000,V,5365.2046,N,00221.8309,W,000.0,000.0,130912,,,N*67
$GPVTG,000.0,T,,M,000.0,N,000.0,K,N*02

If that is successful you can switch logging on by making a change to the registry. Please make sure you save the registry hive first and proceed with caution.

Change
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Chersoft\Nuno Navigator\Communications\Log Folder

to point to a folder with write permission for your account.

Start Nuno with the GPS connected.

Wait a reasonable time.

Close Nuno

Send the contents of the folder specified as the log folder to us at support@nunonavigator.com

Regards
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Peterkins
#4 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 10:29:47 AM

Hi Chis. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I have now managed to get Nuno to connect on a couple of occasions and tried to deduce what might be happening.

I have noticed that it takes a while for VirtualGPS to show a 3D fix even though the gps bluetooth receiver is permanently on and paired to the PC. If I exit from Virtual GPS and then start it up again promptly a 3D fix will quickly follow. If I leave the GPS for a while without it having anythig to talk to, it seems to loose the will to live. The next time a program has to establish a connection the gps has to go through the whole first-time-fix delay. Some sort of power saving strategy I guess.

I suspect that nuno doesnt hang around on a gps port long enough to kick the gps receiver into action. This is not a problem for the likes of SeaClear which gets told which port to probe.

Given nuno's strategy works if it finds a port with gps data on it straight away perhaps you might think there is nothing to fix. However, there might be merit in having a registry setting so users can predefine a gps port upfront. Same again with AIS I suppose. Just a thought.

In the short term the fix for me will be to get a usb mouse/dongle gps thingy since my on board dedicated gps is max'd-out on things it is already driving.

Thanks again.

Peter
Chris
#5 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 10:50:52 AM

Hi Peter,
We do have a registry setting for such issues and to help us test and troubleshoot various device combinations. There is a registry value "Black List" in the hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Chersoft\Nuno Navigator\Communications

This is a (usually blank) semi-colon delimited list of COM ports which will NOT be used by Nuno, e.g. “COM1;COM3”. Case is important.

The usual warnings about changing the registry with due care apply :-).

So as long as your device sticks with a single COM port you should be able to list all of them (DOS command prompt, type 'MODE') and exclude all except the one(s) you want to use for the GPS, AIS etc.

We would welcome any more feedback you have after using Nuno.

Regards
Chris

Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support.
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Peterkins
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:20:59 AM

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the reply. I found the registry settings - eventually - but not where you said. I tried using the MODE command in a command window on my W7 system but all I got back was a few parameters about the DOS box window. Nothing about ports.

I used device manager and listed the ports there. The only ones listed pertain to my BT gps adapter, COM 14 and 17. Sigh.

I guess I need a little more help.

Have a great weekend.

Peter

Addendum: Just read the how-to guide to see if there was anything I missed (if all else fails, RTFM). What I did notice was that the symbol/icon showing in the bottom left corner of my Route Monitor Windows shows a cross on a red background and which isn't explained. I guess I shoulda be expecting to see the hour-glass symbol.

Also, the text says that Nuno is more sprightly finding the gps port on subsequent occasions when compared to the first time. Any idea how the persistence is maintained - it doesn't seem to be in the registry, and it didn't work for me.

... later

Whahooo ... decided to turn on nuno logging and identified nuno was looking at COM14, 17, and 24. I blacklisted 14 and 23 and hay-ho, nuno finds gps on COM17 every time.

Now the only question you must be asking is, why could nuno not do it for itself?? What information can I provide that might help you?

Regards
Chris
#7 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 4:52:41 AM

Hi Peter
Thanks again for your feedback. We will take your issues into account when reviewing the scope of future improvements to our COM scanning functions. We have found the approach to work well with most GPS devices, with the available port being identified and connected to reliably. There is obviously something in the behaviour of your GPS unit which is frustrating our efforts to capture the port. Could you let me know the make and model details of the GPS?

If you hover over the status indicator on the route monitor you get more details about the current status of comms connections (GPS, AIS). This is explained in more detail here Nuno Navigator Help - Connecting a GPS

Further information is also available on the help site Nuno Navigator Help

Regards
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support
Chris Johnson
Nuno Navigator Support